CLASSIC LAMINGTON CAKE
- 190g butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/3 cups self raising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/ cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- desiccated coconut, to decorate
- Step 1Preheat the oven to 170c. Line a cake tin with baking paper, either round or square (I used round).
- Step 2Add the butter and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract.
- Step 3Add the eggs, one at a time, beating between each addition. Add the flour and milk, and mix slowly until well combined.
- Step 4Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for around 50 minutes, or until the cake is cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Step 5Once the cake has cooled, place the icing sugar and cocoa powder in a bowl and add 1 tablespoon of hot water. Mix until well combined, adding extra water if need to make a slightly runny icing.
- Step 6Spread the icing over the top and sides of cake. Sprinkle the coconut evenly over the cake, tilting the cake to get coconut to stick to the sides.