Vanilla Christmas Cookies Recipe
Recipes don’t get much easier than these Vanilla Christmas Cookies. This is a great recipe for kids to help with, they will love helping to measure ingredients, roll the dough and cut out cute Christmas shaped cookies. However the most fun will certainly be had when it comes time to decorate these delicious cookies. While they taste great on their own – where is the fun in that!?! Let your (and your kids) imagination run wild and have decorating with icing, sweets and even chocolate!
- 185g of butter – softened
- 1 cup of caster sugar plus 1 tablespoon extra
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups of plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk – extra
- Step 1line two baking trays with baking paper and preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Step 2In a mug, gently whisk together the egg plus the extra yolk. Place to the side until needed.
- Step 3Place the softened butter, caster sugar and vanilla extract in the bowl of an electric mixer and mix together on a medium to high speed until pale and creamy.
- Step 4Slowly add the plain flour and egg to the butter mixture and continue to beat until a smooth dough forms.
- Step 5Remove the dough from the bowl and lightly knead on a floured bench.
- Step 6Split the dough into two halves and wrap in plastic cling wrap before placing into the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Step 7Remove one half of the dough from the fridge and roll it between two sheets of baking paper until it’s approximately 5mm thick.
- Step 8Use your favourite Christmas shaped cookie cutters to cut out your biscuits, before gently transferring each cookie to the baking tray.
- Step 9Bring the dough off cuts together and roll again to make more cookies. Repeat (also remembering to use the dough in the fridge) until all the dough has been used.
- Step 10Sprinkle the extra sugar over the cookies.
- Step 11Place the baking trays in the oven and cook for 10 – 12 minutes until they begin to turn golden. Please note your cooking time will vary depending on the size and shape of your biscuits.
- Step 12Remove from the oven and allow your cookies to cool on the trays for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Step 13These biscuits are delicious as is, but why not get into the Christmas spirit and have some fun decorating them – a great activity for the kids to get involved in!